Research & Scholarly Achievement
at Gallaudet University
- Bilingual ASL/English storybook apps for children
- The RAVE Revolution for Children with Minimal Language Experience During Sensitive Periods of Brain and Language Development
- ML2: VL2 Storybook Apps and Storybook Creator
- ML2: US-Russian Literacy for Deaf Children
- ML2: Object Oriented Hand Classifier Recognition with LEAP and Unity
- ML2: Designing the 3D Landscape for Signing Avatars and the Signing Experience
- ML2: Development of ASL Word Play Rhymes and Patterned Texts for Young Deaf Children Motion Capture to Better Understand ASL Nursery Rhymes, their Temporal Patterns and Structure
- TL2: Benefits and Risks Assessment
- TL2: Signwise for Kids
- TL2: Usability Study: The Deaf Children’s User Experiences with Storybook Apps
- TL2: VL2 Storybook Apps Lesson Plans and Activities for Educators: Training and Materials
Scholarship and creative activity
- Filed under MALZKUHN
Malzkuhn, M. (2016). The Role of the NAD during the American Eugenics Movement. NADmag. 28-33.
Malzkuhn, M. (2016). The Role of the NAD during the American Eugenics Movement (1880-1940). B. Greenwald, J. Murray, (Eds.), In Our Own Hands, Essays in Deaf History (pp. 1780- 1970). Washington D.C., Gallaudet University Press.
Malzkuhn, M. (2016, February). 21st Century Learning Tools: Research to Innovation. Presented at the NSF Conference, Alexandria, VA.
Malzkuhn, M. (2016, July). Resilience through Innovation: The Convergence of Sign Language and Technology. Presented at the 3rd International Congress on Deaf Education, Bern, Switzerland.
Malzkuhn, M. (2015, October). Playing With Visual Patterns. Presented at the Literary Institute at the Learning Center of the Deaf, MA.
Malzkuhn, M. (2016, March). Virtual Rights and Avatars Panel, Congressional Caucus on Entertainment. Presented at the DC Independent Film Festival, Washington, DC.
Malzkuhn, M. (2016, April). Sign Language in the Digital Frontier: Revolutions in Learning. Presented at the Tribeca Interactive, New York, NY.
- Filed under 7764724a-792f-4de6-9d90-93d11a1fbe0f
Siebert, R., Malzkuhn, M., Herzig, M., Mallabiu, A., & Boytseva, Z. (2017, April) Engaging Deaf Children through Innovative Digital Bilingual Educational Resources. Presentation at Conference of Educational Administrators of Schools & Programs for the Deaf (CEASD), Hartford, CT.
Malzkuhn, M. (2017), The Giant Turnip, Russian Edition, VL2 Storybook App, with Communication Service for the Deaf, iOS App.
Malzkuhn, M. (2017), The Baobab, Japanese Edition, VL2 Storybook App, iOS App.
Malzkuhn, M. (2016, Spring). The Role of the NAD during the American Eugenics Movement. NADmag: 28-33.
Malzkuhn, M. (2017), The Giant Turnip, VL2 Storybook App, with Communication Service for the Deaf, iOS App.
Malzkuhn, M. 2016, Museum of Errors, VL2 Storybook App, Apple iTunes. Developed with Silvia Palmieri, Conrad Baer, and Benjamin Bahan.
2016, Malzkuhn, M. In Our Own Hands: Essays in Deaf History (1780-1940). Greenwald, B., Murray, J., editors. Washington DC: Gallaudet University Press. Chapter 9, Compromising for Agency: The Role of the NAD during the American Eugenics Movement (1880-1940).
Malzkuhn, M. (2017), The Baobab, Dutch Edition, VL2 Storybook App, iOS App.
- Filed under 7e3243b0-96b0-4b9d-93ae-fea49f58f27e
Malzkuhn, M. (2018, February). VL2 Storybook Creator. Presented at the Zero Project Conference, Vienna, Austria.
Scassellati, B., Brawer, J., Tsui, K., Gilani, S., Malzkuhn, M., Manini, B., Stone, A., Kartheiser, G., Merla, A., Shapiro, A., Traum, D., Petitto, L-A. (2018). Teaching Language to Deaf Infants with a Robot and a Virtual Human. Presented at the AMC CHIConference on Hman Factors in Computing Systems , Montreal, Canada.
Herzig, M., Malzkuhn, M., Langdon, C., & Holmes, T. (2018). Gallaudet Revolution: Discoveries and Research in Sign Language. NADmag, Vol. 18. (No.1), 16-18.